A 2017 Digiart Fest event themed around the Hivos social rights & Justice project that was celebrated at Design Hub Kampala from 14th to 15th December. The Animation and Illustration for Social Change is a programme under the festival which aims at creating social impact.
Seven studios from the digital art collective Tribe Uganda were partnered with five companies, civil society organisations and NGOs who took on a social cause and developed a design-based solution for the challenge undertaken. The deliverables ranged from Comic illustrations, Explainer videos, to an animated short clip.
The organisations in question included;
- Uganda Conservation Foundation (poaching awareness) - A comic worked on by -Sketchklan. Global Rights Alert (land rights and women) - A comic book done by Elupe.
- Not Your Body (sexual harassment at work) - an explainer done by Creatures.
- Slum festival (inclusion of ghetto youths) - A comic book worked on by Leaves arts animation studio & Agix creative studio.
- UN women (women political participation) - An explainer video done by Mango tree.
- Policy (Human trafficking) - A comic book done by Mongola studio.